Saturday, July 24, 2010

After the first week...

Norah loves Kindergarten, that is about all I can say to describe it. We knew she'd do ok - after all, she has never had a problem when we left her at day care or with the occasional babysitter.
One of the concerns we did have, however, was that she is SUCH A SLOW eater. The problem, we thought, was that with only 20 minutes to eat, she would not eat fast enough, nor enough food, to last her through the afternoon. The first day, I packed a turkey sandwich, chips, applesauce, and some fruitsnacks. When we got home, I looked in her lunchbox and held up the half of sandwich- she immediately came over, asked if she could have it for her snack, and SCARFED it DOWN. I really mean INHALED it. The fruitsnacks were also untouched. Well, needless to say, the second day of school, she ate her WHOLE sandwich, along with everything else I packed. Yesterday, she finished her sandwich on the way to pick up Maya, but I am confident she has learned to eat a little faster.
The other "concern" we had was Norah's bedtime. No matter how early I tried to get her to go to bed early, she would always stay awake in her room looking at books - yes, even in the dark. She would stay up until 10 pm many nights, even if we tried to start bedtime so she would be in bed by 8. This week, it all changed. On Tuesday night, she was completely exhausted, and was ready for bed and tucked in at 8:30. She was sound asleep by 8:32. On Wednesday, it was 8:30 again, and she thought she'd be sneaky and try & read a book. I found her with the book unopened and covering her face- at 8:35. Funny, kinda, because she didn't even realize how tired she was. And then last night, since it was Friday, I told her we would pop some popcorn and maybe she could stay up a little later. We sat down on the couch to watch the D-Backs game and she took a few handfuls of popcorn - soon after, she pushed the bowl away and said, "I'm just gonna relax, Mom, and maybe shut my eyes." I looked at the clock - it was only 8:35. When I looked back at her, she was sound asleep. Wow, I love how school tires her out!!

The other cute story I wanted to share - We were sitting at the dinner table on Wednesday evening. Scott and I were talking and Norah was eating. I asked her a question and she stopped me and said, "When you raise your hand, then I will be able to help you." Scott and I were stunned. We laughed a lot, and then both agreed that at least she has learned that so far!

Anyways, starting next week, Mrs. Conrey will send home a weekly homework packet and also daily behavior reports. I am curious to see how she behaves at school! We are establishing our routine for the school year, which is nice...

Maya, on the other hand, had a rough week. She was teething, & woke up a few times during the night on Monday, Tues, Weds, AND Thursday screaming. She was also drooling constatnly. It was awful, so we alternated the Tylenol and Ibuprofen, as well as the OraGel. She chewed on cold washcloths, and loved the freezie pops. Poor thing- it seems to have passed! She is getting to be herself again - smiley and eating well. Thank goodness!!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

It's nice to hear how your family is doing...I love how school tired out my boys too! They will start in a few more weeks, and I can't wait!